Monday, January 13, 2014

Reflections of Mila's First Year

It's always nice to reflect upon a time when everything seemed perfect.  A time when we welcomed our Mila James into our lives.  Labor was intense, her delivery was stressful, and the first five minutes of her life seemed like years.  Luckily, we had a great delivery team, and with a few respiratory interventions, Mila got to snuggle with her daddy and I.

 




Mila was 6 lb 4 oz of pure, tiny sweetness.  We were surprised how tiny she was considering both of our families breed baby beasts.  Thankfully Mila was a great eater and my milk supply was overflowing.  Her well visits were proof that she was growing so fast!




















After being told Mila had low muscle tone and she was six months behind developmentally, there's so many moments from her first year that came flooding back.  She hated tummy time.  As soon as she could sit up on her own, she only laid down because she was unable to catch herself.  Her arms always stayed limp by her side.  She would never grip my waist when carrying her on my hip.  Mila rarely took pictures with her tongue inside her mouth.  She has bopped her head since she was strong enough to hold it up.  Whether it's music, her favorite show, wagon rides, playtime, anything, or anyone that excites her, Mila's head is always moving side to side.  She never rolled on the floor continuously.  It was only from her stomach to her back after I encouraged tummy time.  If toys were out of arms reach, she would find something else to occupy her attention.

I grieved for several months after meeting with Early Intervention.  I was angry with myself for possibly denying Mila of great things.  I have also realized that during her first year she was happy and healthy.  She slept and ate great.  She was always engaged with her dad and I, and sociable with those around her.  Those are the vital components that every parent looks for in their child.  Her pediatrician never gave me any inclination that something might be wrong.  We trust our doctors.  Most importantly, we trust our instincts as parents.


No comments:

Post a Comment